Life


Saturday, February 2, 2013

Tapioca Pudding

The recipe on the back of the tapioca package was gross. It required folding in beaten egg whites and the final result was off. I combined several steps in several recipes and this one turned out pretty good.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup small dried tapioca pearls (soak for an hour or two in water, pour off excess water)
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup cream
  • 5 egg yolks
  • 2/3 cup of sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract, depending on taste
Directions:
Combine milk, cream, egg yolks, sugar, salt and vanilla in a pan. Slowly whisk in tapioca and slowly bring to a boil over medium heat. This should take about 10-15 minutes. Stir often to prevent burning. Once the mixture thickens, cook for about 5-10 more minutes. Turn the heat off and cover for about 20 more minutes to complete cooking. Once this mixture setup in the fridge, it was very very thick. I like tapioca pudding and a thick or thin mixture is fine with me. That being said, my sister-in-law, who doesn't like tapioca pudding, liked this because the tapioca ball texture was disguised by the thick pudding texture. If you like it runnier, by all means try adding more milk. Enjoy!

-I added a couple super dark chocolate squares to a small portion of the tapioca pudding to make chocolate tapioca, and it turned out really good. I recommend this if you like chocolate. I think I liked it better than the regular tapioca pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment