Life


Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Southwest Corn Chowder

This turned out to be really good, especially a couple of days after. My inspiration came from a corn chowder that was available at Whole Foods in the ready to eat section. It smelled really good, but was expensive, so I decided to make my own. As always, I suggest to use organic ingredients if possible.

Ingredients:
  • 2 16 oz bags of frozen corn
  • 4 medium sized potatoes- diced small
  • 1 medium/large yellow onion- diced small
  • 2 cloves garlic- minced
  • 3 jalapenos- chopped (I wanted to use poblano, but they were not available when I needed them)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes- drained
  • 1 32 ounce container chicken stock/broth
  • 2-3 cups of milk (I used 2%)
  • 1/2-1 tsp of cumin powder
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 6 slices of bacon
  • 4 cooked chicken tenderloins- diced (sauteed, grilled, boiled or however is preferred)
Directions:
Fry bacon until it is crispy and golden brown. Remove from pan to drain on a towel- crumble. Leave the bacon grease in the pan and saute the onion, garlic and jalapeno until soft (5-6 minutes). Add the corn, potatoes, tomatoes, chicken broth and bay leaf. Bring to a low boil and cook until the potatoes are cooked through (30-45 minutes). Add the milk, cumin and chicken. Simmer for 10-15 more minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper or pepper flakes for added heat. Serve with crumbled bacon, sour cream, salsa, guacamole and chips.

2 comments:

  1. I'll try this soup soon. Love the purchased one, but it's too dear for my budget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you didn't test this? Or did you? Did you ever taste the WF soup?

    ReplyDelete