Life


Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Black Bean Soup



The reset is over and I'm freaking out. I've had a plan telling me exactly what to eat for the last three weeks, and now I have to do it myself! I craved Mexican food the whole time and thought I would make some vegetarian bean burritos, but as I was cooking the beans I decided to make soup instead. It had more veggies, so I thought it was a better idea.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup dried black beans (first soak for about 4-6 hours and change the water a few times, then cook for about 45 minutes in a few cups of water- adding more as needed)
  • 1/4 onion diced (red or yellow)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 carrots diced
  • 1/2-1 jalapeno diced
  • 1/4 red bell pepper diced
  • 1/2 can diced tomatoes (with or without chilies- I used with)
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 tablespoon miso paste
  • 1/2 Bragg's liquid aminos
  • water or veggie broth to add for desired soup consistency
Directions:
After cooking the soaked beans until soft, add all of the veggies (raw or sauteed) along with the bay leaf and cumin (add water or broth to achieve desired consistency). Cook for an additional 30 minutes and then add the miso paste and liquid aminos. Make sure that the soup is not boiling when the miso is added. It will kill the good stuff in the miso. Serve with sliced avocado and salsa and maybe a few tortilla chips or a quesadilla. This probably equals about 1 serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment