Life


Saturday, September 14, 2013

Natural Deodorant

This isn't by any means a food post, but something cool that I came by. This may be too much info for some, but I sweat a lot. Especially in the summer time. If that sweat is left to linger, it then gets stinky. And nobody I know likes body odor. I'm always trying different deodorant and antiperspirant brands. I have several natural deodorants too (but several of those gave me a rash) because I know that the antiperspirant aspect (aluminum) is bad for you. Some studies are linking it to different cancers and Alzheimer's disease, both of which I have in my family so I personally want to avoid things that could possibly speed either one of those things up or contribute to them manifesting. With that said (along with many other things), I've researched a lot of homemade deodorants and have always wanted to make one. I had all of the ingredients available, except for the beeswax (which isn't necessary, it just keeps the deodorant solid in warmer climates). I used the recipe found here (http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2013/06/homemade_natural_deodorant_travel-friendly.php). I plan on using the final product over the next few weeks and I'll post back as to the results. I've read that the baking soda causes some to get a rash, and I'm curious to see if that will happen to me, if so I'll tinker with a new recipe. The glass jar in the picture above is the final product. I made a 1.5x recipe and there was actually enough to fill one small glass spice jar and two small humangear GoTubb containers. I put in bold the things I changed from the original recipe I found. It comes in handy to use a digital scale for this, because the amounts are so small.

Ingredients (from above site):

6 grams (1/5 ounce) beeswax
40 grams (1 1/3 ounces) coconut oil
35 grams (1 1/4 ounces) baking soda
15 grams (1/2 ounce) arrow-root (or other starch, such as potato starch, corn starch, etc.) I used corn starch because that is what I had on hand
20 drops tea tree essential oil (or another essential oil with anti-bacterial properties)
Makes 100 grams (3 1/2 ounces), about 60 ml (1/4 cup)

Directions (from above site, except I changed directions to use the microwave):
Put the beeswax in a microwave-safe bowl and place it in the microwave. Heat in 30 second increments until melted. Add the coconut oil and let it melt (microwave for 30 seconds more, the beeswax hardened some when I added the coconut oil), stirring to combine. Stir in the baking soda, corn starch, and essential oil until you get a creamy consistency. Put into a storage container and let set at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment