Life


Friday, October 12, 2012

NYC- Patbingsu- Korean Shaved Ice and Fruit Dessert

I was visiting with some friends this past week in New York City and they took us to a Korean place for dinner on W. 32nd Street in Manhattan and then we went a few doors down to this Korean cafe/dessert/bread shop (This place is on the left next to a Korean market. The place we had dinner was a few more places down on the left and had a huge line. Our friends referred to it as "junk Korean" or "street food Korean" because it wasn't good for you but tasted really good. I think the people lining up at the front and back of the restaurant waiting for a space can attest to that as well.). I don't remember the name of either place, but the name of the dessert place sounded French I think and it was super trendy and busy, even at 10:30 pm on a Tuesday night. They insisted that we try the Patbingsu. It consisted of shaved ice with some type of cream or milk poured over it, fruit, some bean/barley powder, sweetened beans, gelatinous rice cubes (aka tteok or rice marshmallows) and ice cream on top. The bowls were huge and it took five of us to finish the two bowls. I have to say, I would definitely recommend giving it a try. If anyone knows the name of this place...please let me know!

7/8/2014 Update: I was in NYC this past week and solved the mystery! The dessert place is called Tous Les Jours and the other restaurant is called KunJip. I highly recommend both of them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment