Life


Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tortillas (flour and corn)


I wanted to make enchiladas and bought a cheap pack of tortillas. After looking at the list of some 20  or so ingredients on the back, I decided to make my own with the ingredients below. Some of the motivation also came from me just going to a friend's place for dinner. She's Guatemalan and tortillas are a staple. She showed me how she made her corn tortillas using Maseca (a brand of corn meal mix) and her super authentic looking wood tortilla press. They were awesome and I think corn tortillas are delicious, but can fall apart too easily. Thus below...I think the gluten in the tortillas helps hold them together.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 cups corn meal (mine was somewhat coarsely ground, local from Whole Foods)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening (I used Spectrum Organic)
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1 1/2- 1 3/4 cups water
Directions:
Mix all ingredients into a ball. It should be somewhat soft, but still hold shape. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour. Roll into balls (maybe about 1/4 cup, mine made between 16 and 18 tortillas). On a floured surface, roll into a circle using a rolling pin (or circle like shape). Or use a tortilla press and press into a circle. Cook on a heated griddle, about 1 minute per side. There should be some small brown spots where the tortilla was touching the griddle. To keep moist and hot while preparing all the tortilla. Place between two paper towels on a plate, with a second plate on top to hold in heat and moisture. These held together really well, I made Mixed Vegetable Enchiladas with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment